Sunday, April 12, 2020

HAVE PASSPORT, WILL TRAVEL: PART ONE

In the summer of 2018 I was living in fear. Triggers, both large and small, aroused such anxiety and panic that I became determined to take action. My only recourse was to do something so outside my comfort zone that if accomplished, I would potentially overcome my fears or die trying. A strong dose of bravery and courage was in order so I decided to take a "solo trip" that would entail next level independence. So, I dug deep and traveled to Europe for 16 days. ALONE. This would be my first time to travel unaccompanied and I would be lying to you if I said there weren't moments during the process that gave me pause. I was a novice at planning my own trips and quite frankly convinced (by fear) that I'd screw it up; that I would land in the wrong city, or choose a hotel not centrally located to what I wanted to see, or that I'd somehow end up in a bind. The variety of "what if" scenarios whirled through my head like a tornado. And I had the added bug of a Latin family in my ears panicking over every possible safety snafu. "You're so petite Emily; you could get kidnapped, or mugged or attacked," etc. There I was confronted with the first hurdle in finding the strength to overcome. I wasn't foolish though. I recognized that my family's concerns, coupled with my own, were valid, they too however were based in fear and in "playing it safe." I needed a sanctification from this hold; a cleansing to be replaced with confidence and faith in myself and my capability to do "this thing," and despite every plea from family to stay, my gut told me I had to do this and so I did.
This trip was my Everest.

After getting over all THAT (though the voices in my mind wavered), I straightened up and selected three countries to visit. Within an hour I had booked the entire trip from flights in and out of different countries to hotels, Eurorail transports and even boats for my last country's island hopping. And because I know myself too well, I booked it all as nonrefundable. Now I was committed. And just like that I was three weeks away from an experience I knew I would never forget. I'm pretty sure I closed my laptop that night and thought, "OMG, what am I about to do?"

The next day I purchased a travel guide for each country, surfed Trip Advisor and read blogs about lesser known tourist attractions. I also began wrestling daily with my anxiety and focused on strengthening my resolve little by little until the morning of my departure. I had no idea what to expect.

Fast forward to day one solo trip 2018. My first stop: the Czech Republic. Prague was a city I'd longed to visit since I was a little girl. My parents had vacationed there for an anniversary trip and I remember their photos looking like post cards. I had grown up envisioning this European city with it's iconic cobblestone roads, narrow streets and earthy tones as a "must see." It was everything I expected, full of history and discovery. After arriving early in the morning, checking in to my artsy boutique hotel and setting my bags down, I wasted zero time and hit the ground running. After five days of non-stop site-seeing, hiking up massive hills to see the city from an aerial vantage point, visiting every cathedral, people-watching at plazas and enjoying a cold glass of their world-famous lager, I was wrecked. Those "idyllic cobblestone roads" were hard on the body. Each night as I climbed into bed, I felt every muscle and ache - a direct result of refusing to take even a moment's rest in hopes of soaking up the city and seeing absolutely everything I could. I visited the Jewish Ghetto and wept; I crossed the Charles Bridge multiple times and heard an electronic violinist play one of my favorite Abba songs; I watched the changing of the guard at Prague Castle; I gazed at the Astronomical Clock in Old Town Prague; I finally made it to Petrin Tower at the top the tallest hill in scorching heat; I spent hours searching for the famed Lennon graffiti wall; I went to the Kafka Museum; the Basilica of St. Peter, toured the Schwarzenberg Palace, St. Nicholas Church and so much, so much more. I even randomly bumped into a friend from law school and caught up over oysters and Veuve Cliquot. I soaked in the hotel jacuzzi to combat the effects of the average thirteen miles walked each day and I sat at in Wenceslas Square watching the sunset and journaling the days. It was amazing and unforgettable and everything I thought Prague would be, but it was now time to move on.

Tomorrow, Austria.








No comments :

Post a Comment